Tuesday, March 8, 2011

R & R: Recovering & Recipes

Good Morning!

I'm feeling about 150 times better than I have in a couple days. I suppose that's what I get for eating an already opened pack of rice cakes. I'm actually not sure if that's what it was.. but I got slapped with the ugly flu. Thankfully, I finally have energy again.

So much so that I even baked Joe some pumpkin scones before he left for work, made some carrot orange juice, and am now finally posting a blog while watching "You Again!" :) Pretty accomplished morning for it only being 7:40 am, haha ;)

Before I actually got sick, the night before that is.. I made Joe some Veggie Philly Cheese 'Steak's" via peasandthankyou recipe. Though I adapted the recipe just a tad. They were a major hit with the hubby. I'm so so very proud of him, I challenged him back in December to try out being Vegetarian for a week. To my surprise, he accepted. And to surprise me more, last week, he completed with flying colors. I was unsure at first.. because on day one, before dinner, he said "I don't think I could ever do this for real." I was a little worried and sad that he was already going to throw in the towel. But he held on, and honestly, I couldn't be prouder. The real kicker? He on his own, has chosen to continue the Vegetarian thing. My body building, steak loving man has changed so much already this year. He's still body building.. but thankfully, I no longer have to look at ugly raw steaks in the freezer... and maybe.. Not sure.. I don't know how long he is planning to continue the Vegetarianism. But I won't complain. (He has given up red meat this year, but had not officially given up chicken/turkey.)

Well, I won't keep you waiting..

Vegetarian Philly Cheese 'Steak's'

3 Portabella mushrooms (cleaned, stems removed & sliced)
1 Green Bell Pepper (seeds removed & sliced into long strips)
1/2 (A little less) Red Onion, sliced, and then slices halved (to make long strips of onion)
1 clove garlic (minced)
4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Mozzerella Cheese
pinch of sugar
salt & pepper
1-2 bread rolls. I got some four cheese rolls from the Kroger bakery. Slice them in half (I then sliced the halves as well)


Whisk the Balsamic, Worcestershire sauce, Garlic and Soy sauce together in a bowl that has a lid. Sprinkle in salt & pepper to taste. Add mushrooms, bell pepper & onion slices and cover with lid. Shake it up and then refrigerate it for 2-4 hours (I did 4,) flipping the bowl on it's top and then back on it's bottom a few times in between.







On a larger sized skillet, heat up about 2 Tbsp olive oil (EVOO!) and pour everything that is in your mushroom/onion/pepper bowl into the skillet.

Saute everything until everything thets soft and browned. It probably ended up being about 10-12 minutes when I did it.
























On a non stick cookie sheet, lay out your bread roll slices. Top each half with the mushrooms/peppers/onions. On the half that tops the sandwhich, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil.

Top everything with cheese (or if your choosing vegan, top with vegan cheese.)

**Broil** for about 3-5 minutes until your cheese melts & the bread has been toasted.




Place it onto your plate and enjoy! If you're a mayo person... do that thing too :)



It certainly got the seal of approval here... Don't mind the mischievous face.
All he would say was.. "I feel tricked right now..."
;)

And for a recipe from one of my photos in my previous blog:

Sun-Dried Hummus Wraps

Ingredients:
Wraps (whether it be Collard Leaves, Lettuce, Rice Paper... whichever you choose. I used Collards & Rice paper)
Sprouts (I used Alfalfa)
Grape Tomato's, sliced
Cucumber, peeled and julienned
Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus (see previous blog for recipe)

Lay out your wrap, spread on a nice thick layer of hummus. Top with other ingredients. Change or omit whatever you chose. Wrap it up! ;) I sliced my wraps in halves as well.

They're fun to make, they look pretty and they taste delish!


"Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless."
-Jamie Paolinetti

I hope you all have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment